Support for Google Scene Viewer?

Is this something worth checking out? https://developers.google.com/ar/develop/scene-viewer

Original Post on Discord

by user 103054507105067008

SceneViewer is legacy and should only be used when WebXR is not available.

If you want to support only minimal interaction (e.g. static models or max. 1 animation) then youā€™ll probably be fine using modelviewer.dev which has fallbacks for SceneViewer (itā€™s just ā€œcall the right URL with a .glb fileā€) and QuickLook (another case of ā€œcall the right URL with a .usdz fileā€)

See <model-viewer> Examples and Documentation

I wish Google would update docs to state that sceneviewer is legacy, I might send some tweets out to them about this

Well ā€œlegacyā€ in the sense of ā€œWebXR is now supported pretty widely and even model-viewer has switched to WebXR by defaultā€

Itā€™s still used when you e.g. google for ā€œLionā€ and then press the AR button that pops up

Canā€™t use interactions, canā€™t use custom rendering, canā€™t use DOM Overlay and so on, itā€™s really ā€œQuickLook but for Androidā€

With modelviewer.dev I assume i could send out a url with the url to the glb file from our FTP server in the parameters to save myself doing lots of ā€˜can we just put this model in needleā€™ every time I get given a 3d file from a client

Yep gonna skip on that implementation for sure as we currently avoid quick look too. Looking into ways to quickly show a model without much user input as I keep getting asked to whack a model in Needle and do a build

You could just make a simple viewer where you can pass URLs in. Depends on how long it stays in that ā€œcan we just have a modelā€ phase and how quickly it turns into ā€œcan you now click on this to make something happenā€

I relate to that strongly, but keeping the reigns on workflows right now so itā€™s a case of a ā€˜look donā€™t touchā€™ kind of setup. I think Iā€™ll make a viewer with parameters so then I can at least build more into it over time and it solves the need of previewing a glb