Object requires a newer version of iOS?

Just tried out the Quicklook interactions scene on iOS but imported my own model from another Needle project, as soon as I click AR Mode I get a warning ‘Object requires a newer version of iOS’. This warning doesn’t show if I remove my model and try AR mode again with just the sample scene assets - I can provately send a repro model file you can see this issue with

Original Post on Discord

by user 103054507105067008

I do also get error: undefined is not an object (evaluating targetObject.getPath)

That’s a Apple’s way of saying that the scene isn’t valid.

Common thing that cause this is if you have any Unlit shaders for example.

Please send the model @ROBYER1 , if you wanna be unblocked right away you can bisect your scene - usually it’s some object / material being wrongly exported on our end

Did you specify a custom export root or auto export animations? Could also be an animation targets some object that’s not exported

Nothing custom, simply a gltf + separate file in the scene I have used in a different Needle project but I overwrote the material on it so it could be changed by the material changer example, will send it as a package to you on DM

Sent over DM, it seems it happens even if the object doesn’t have its materials replaced at source. Trying to identify if it is a GLTF+Separate file issue

It shouldn’t, that distinction doesn’t really exist at runtime anymore (once things are loaded into the scene)

A quick video of the issue HJMI2588.MP4 - Google Drive

The video doesnt show the message you mentioned (broken USDZ) - but seems like material changes seem to stop working at some point?

Indeed, it shows the original error message in Safari of ‘Object requires a newer version of iOS’

Live demo to repro if it helps https://demo.epm.digital/epm/iosar/

As discussed in DM please use the bug report button in the menu so we have the actual scene, model only or build only don’t really help to repro :slightly_smiling_face:

Sent a bug report through of -ProductViewer-230621-101517_uw.zip Please ignore some old errors mentioned in this conversation - we are purely looking at the issue with going into quick look on iOS > change material a few times > exit quick look then return to quick look to see the error ‘Object requires a newer version of iOS’.

Seems unrelated to material change, simply going into quick look then exiting quick look then re-entering quick look causes the message ‘Object requires a newer version of iOS’.

@marcel :cactus: I can reproduce this with your live sample here, simply enter and exit quick look a few times - it might not be the second or third time as it seems random for me the same issue happens the third time I enter and exit then re-enter quick look

huh, interesting. I stress-tested it by re-entering that sample like 3-4 times. Apparently even 10 is not enough :confused:

@ROBYER1 same for me here, it fails on the third time without doing anything in quicklook or clicking any object

My suspicion is we’re still caching something incorrectly in some of the actions/don’t clear that when re-exporting
(thought we fixed that already but seems not all cases)

What if the USDZ extensions are created once before generating the USDZ instead of being added once and kept in memory. Then we would make sure there’s always a clean state and prevent such cases. + it’s all short term memory/minor allocs so shouldnt be a big deal compared to major allocs (when it’s cached)