How to configure character controller to custom model as I'm unable to run animations on my model?

As I used the character controller sample try to replace the model with some other model but animations not work on it just can move it even checked the components are assigned correctly is there any specific procedure to integrate it?

Original Post on Discord

by user 807640620260130857

Do your animations play correctly in Unity in the Animation window on that character?

If not: make sure that’s the case first, we can’t magically fix what’s already not working

Often the problem is a mismatch between humanoid and generic animations. We support exporting both. You may have to change the AnimatorController on the sample to fit your character.

Firsly I have the idea of generic and humonoid its not the case and to play it safe I just trying to replace the character model with in the Character Controller scene and I export the character from blender as gbl which shares the same structure as the model which is pre integrated and working perfect but when I replace it with min and assing the corresponding filed and scripts its just moving no animations working at all.

Also I’m actually trying to make a full metaverse experience using it like trying is it worth using but there are some stuff which is not documented properly regarding how to customize samples and all maybe it out there but I could’t help my self to find it.

This is the information of my character

That’s the character which is already in place in Character Controller Sample which works fine

1. To repeat my question:
    When you open the Animation window in Unity and play the clips, does the character move?
  1. If you have questions regarding customizing samples or things you feel are missing from the documentation then please open new threads for that, we’re happy to improve these things if needed.

Yes I just checked its not working it just stayed in T-pose.

Sure actually I just feel like there some sort of video or documentation which I can see to replicate as the work flow is quite different as compare to unity basic work flow for integrating character applying animations and all.

If it stays in t-pose in Unity the animation clips are not compatible or your model is not humanoid compatible. Are there any import messages? You can also try FBX format to see if the mecanim importer there can import it.

What differences in workflow do you see? As said we can’t magically fix if your file already doesn’t work in Unity :sweat_smile:

Not really I got you the thing is like making integration of a custom character like which file format works and all as Fbx humanoid stuff is fine as far Unity but when it comes to Needle Engine as far I get it encourage to go with gltf glb formats which have different configurations.

Anyway I will see how to fix it Thanks for the assistance or just pointing out how to test it.

Oh, you can absolutely bring files into Unity in any format Unity supports - we generally use glTF more but it’s not a requirement at all, and there’s still some edge cases (for example, humanoids with specific bone setups) that don’t work well with glTF import.

So recommend you check for import errors in the console when you right-click > reimport your character - and if there are any please try FBX format instead!

Ah I just check this now but I already used the Fbx and it works perfectly fine Thanks for support I got my animations up and ruining will share work soon it full production level metaverse project. Will make integration snap shoots can add in your documentation if you like too might help others.