WebXR Technical Difficulties on Blender

Hey, I’m using the Acer AH101-D8EY Mixed Reality Headset to test and prototype a needle website I have been practicing with for a few days now. The documentation is hard to read and alot of what I have been able to figure out has been from trial and error since I had no idea on how to add a component to a scene in blender (I don’t think you can anyways, the professor I’m working with also couldn’t figure it out)

The biggest question and anomaly for me is this weird behavior I’m seeing that I wish made more sense to a layman. As you can see, when I set defaultAvatar to the only option that blender shows me, Main scene, the VR session goes blank and produces alot of errors, but when I leave it blank it seems to work. Could someone explain why that is and what is the ideal way to set up webXR in blender? I currently have the component attached to the Floor model.

Few side notes:

1. The documentation on there two links hasn’t been easy to understand, are they tailored to unity only?
    Core Components | Needle Engine Documentation
    VR & AR (WebXR) | Needle Engine Documentation
  2. Blender has a really cool feature called tooltips which when you hover over a checkbox or tool or anything, a small blob opens up with a description of what it does, alot of it is blank for several components and features all over needle and it would be helpful and more intuitive for alot of people
  3. What are the best ways to increase the height while moving around and make interaction interesting with the controls? I’m actively going through three.js documentation but it would be helpful if we had more insight to the custom functions and methods you have implemented for the needle engine using the various packages that are in node_modules. (I say this cause when I wanted to lock rotation for the camera I was using in a previous demo, orbitalControls.d.ts didn’t have enableRotation listed so I could not call it in my custom component)

Original Post on Discord

by user 392979063620501504

https://nilaygomkale.com/experimentation_folder/experiment_3/
VR demo is up, I would like some help with creating custom components if anyone is around

Hi,

You can add components in the Object’s properties Needle Engine for Blender | Needle Engine Documentation

I’ll take have to a look at the referenced avatar, this sounds like a bug.

About your notes:

1. They are not tailored to Unity but perhaps not all features are exposed to Blender in the components. If something is missing that you need let us know and we’ll see if we can add it

2. You’re right they are currently not added for most of the components. Please keep in mind that we’re still in the alpha phase of this integration :slightly_smiling_face: But thanks for the feedback

3. Can you explain or show what you mean by increase height? you mean increasing the height of your avatar in VR so that the scene appears bigger or smaller (effectively scaling the scene around you?)

for the third point, yes exactly, I want to increase the height from the default 1.6 to 1.8 roughly and make walking around faster and smoother

Ideally be able to add teleportation around the space and sprint if possible

I am able to interact with dragControl object but they are extremely glitchy

About the webXR avatar: to use the avatar you currently need to put your model in another Blender scene and then reference that scene. You are currently effectively loading your main scene as an avatar which is causing the errors
image.png

The trigger helps to grab but I would like to also assign teleportation or sprint to the other smaller button near my index finger right there

image.png

Can you show a video of what’s happening?

I tried creating a new scene and making sure that the avatar(and it’s armature are in that scene) but it’s still turning black

I’ve been trying to screen record but it’s freezing in the recording

Let me give it one more shot

Also the avatar currnetly has to follow this naming scheme:
image.png

The documentation said HandLeft and HandRight

The documentation is right - sorry :slightly_smiling_face:

this also works
image.png

The regular sphere is acting fine so far, but the object we put the LockZaxis component on a few days ago is unconsistent and glitching wildly

I think I’ll need to try a few more variations of what combinations and factors are the cause but it’s been pretty difficult to navigate so far

Okay it’s not very glitchy anymore, when I take off the LockZ component we made