Getting new features to work without regenerating needle project

I notices for a while now when updating to a newer needle engine version, I have create a new needle project for the vite template in a new folder in order to get the new features working correctly (or the old project stopped working completly). Is there a way to get around this?

Original Post on Discord

by user 334342083445784576

It should generally not be necessary. It depends a bit on how old your project is. We updated the vite config in the template a while ago to support our plugins which would be the only reason I can think of to update if you were using an much older version (the ExportInfo has a context menu as well for copying the vite.config from the template and replacing it in the project).
Besides that: what made it necessary to generate a new project?

Okay, maybe it is another problem: Is Firefox currecntly working with the new Editor Sync Feature?
Firefox kann keine Verbindung zu dem Server unter wss://192.168.105.111:1107/ aufbauen. client.ts:78:17
The webserver console is flooded with this message:
Unexpected number in JSON at position 135
My problem with the old project when updating from 2.66 to 2.67 was Post Processing Volume and Editor Sync wasn’t working. I had a problem when updating from 2.62 to 2.65, where I had to make a new project because the build just did not show up in browser, not even the needle loading screen (cant remember the error message sadly). When I updated today to 2.67, editor sync and post processing wasn’t working. I assumed the same problem and recreated the project. But when this wasn’t helping, I switched to chrome and everything works fine. I already trashed the old project so I canot reproduce, if the old project works with chrome.
Sorry, will look more deeply into it when this shows up in one of the next updates.

Ah ok thanks, didnt test firefox yet with editor sync. I will later. Thanks for the report

Awesome feature btw! Already having a blast with all this speedup!

That’s great! Not everything works yet and especially it doesnt communicate well sometimes what works and what doesnt (gotta write some docs about it) but I feel the same :slightly_smiling_face: thanks for the confirmation!

Btw got once again a progressive texture fix incoming - seems like I broke something :frowning_with_open_mouth: will push another version later

Yeah, got small issues with material values (again, it’s tiling and offset ;)) not getting correctly synced. But everything else works like it should

Okay, back to topic: I DO have a concrete bug report now! I just updated to 2.67.2 and all default needle components looked like this. This happened when upgrading from 2.65 to 2.67.1 as well. They also not getting exported in the build anymore.

But I already solved this for me: Manual reimport of the needle exporter package in the project window did the job!

Which Unity version are you using?

Someone else had the same issue recently. I’ll ping him

@AFR can you try if this fixes your problem too?

Ok thanks. But I would put this into the Unity PackageManager/Importer issue category :thinking:

Yeah, had this issue with other packages as well.

@Podden seems like firefox never connects to the vite websocket when it opens the website

at least for me here - which FF version are you using?

What do you mean by “in the project window”? like, downloading the package from github and then going to Window > Package Manager and then clicking the + icon and add pckg from disk??

by user 483253293477265409

He means this: