Feasible -Dynamically create everywhere Animation actions at runtime before opening Quick Look/WebXR

I am looking into dynamically adding buttons to play animations if a model has animations when imported using Everywhere actions for Quick Look/Android WebXR on an existing model viewer I have made which imports a model at runtime.

In this example I import a model, if it has animations then I create some everywhere actions components and spawn buttons hooked up to those at runtime which play the animations on the model when opened in Quick Look/WebXR. Is this possible currently?

Original Post on Discord

by user 103054507105067008

Yep that should work

I’ll be sure to share an example of what I figure out with this if anyone else is interested in doing the same

interesting. so pressing quick look creates a usdz file on the fly including the actions? i was under the impression they were “baked” during export.

by user 395602247196737546

No - they’re generated when you request quicklook (the usdz) :slightly_smiling_face:

We automatically generate the usdz behaviours for everywhere action components (you can look at their source for how to do it) but you can also do it for your own components (these are our methods for building them: Everywhere Actions | Needle Engine Documentation)

I think I need to figure out how to build my own at runtime as I can’t set these values like target etc on an existing prefab or instantiated button with the PlayAnimationOnClick component?

What do you mean you cant set them?

The fields are not used/cached anywhere else before the events for click or export happen. Setting them should work. Are you sure you assign correct values?

image.png

Trying to set them here

You can’t make an assignment with an implicit check for undefined.
You have to write it like this:

if(buttonClickComp && this.new) buttonClickComp.target = this.new.transform;

That’s not related to everywhere actions but javascript syntax

Sweet thanks, sometimes I headbutt stuff like that coming back from C# to Javascript

Same in C# :slightly_smiling_face: :stuck_out_tongue:
image.png

You’re right, I’m being slow today lol

I can very easily create an Animation component at runtime and add the animations to it to trigger, but the PlayAnimationOnClick script uses an Animator instead which doesn’t seem to be as straightforward for me to create at runtime, is there some way to convert an Animation component into an Animator component at runtime?

Or any way to create an Animator component then add the animations to it at runtime?

Currently that’s not as straightforward because of the AnimatorStateMachine which is a bit more complex (just from the data that needs to be setup) - you can create the statemachine from code too tho (have a look at the model field inside the AnimatorController class - that’s what you need to create and assing from code

Trying to figure out where to start there, thanks for the tip - I wonder if I am going about this the right way or if there is a way to do this with the Animation component otherwise