Codegen error c#

Every time i make changes in my typescript file. I get error in Unity codegen type or namespace objectstring can’t be found.

I have to manually remove object everytime to compile my scripts.

Hello Saad,

The error you’re encountering regarding “objectstring can’t be found” typically arises due to issues with the type generation process in Needle Engine when changes are made to your TypeScript files.

Here are some steps you can take to resolve this:

1. Check for TypeScript Type Mismatches: Ensure that the types you are using in your TypeScript files are correctly declared and imported. For instance, it might be related to either the Object3D type or any specific types you are serializing.

2. Force Code Generation: If changes to your TypeScript files are not reflected in the C# code generated, you can utilize the GenerateTypesIfNecessary method in your editor script to force the regeneration of types. Here’s an example of how you could call this method:

[MenuItem("Tools/Regenerate Types")]
    public static void RegenerateTypes()
    {
        TypesGenerator.GenerateTypesIfNecessary(true);
    }

3. Review Your @serializable Decorators: When using the @serializable decorator, ensure you are using correct types. For Object3D, ensure it is properly imported, and look for any instances where you might have mismatched types or annotations.

4. Check the Code Generation Directory: Sometimes, issues arise from problems with the code generation directory. Ensure that the CodeGenDirectory is accessible and the necessary files are being generated correctly.

5. Unity Console Warnings: Monitor the Unity Console for any warnings when code generation occurs; they may provide insights into what might be going wrong.

6. Cleaning Up Cache: Occasionally, old cached versions of generated files may cause issues. Navigate to the generated code folder (typically Assets/Needle/Codegen) and manually delete it, then re-trigger code generation.

If the issue persists, providing specific details about the structure of your TypeScript file and the C# class it’s generating would be helpful in further diagnosing the problem. You can also check if there are any exceptions thrown in the Unity console that might give more context.

Feel free to ask if you need further assistance!

3 replies left
thread_BFkEVe0dhEHeWLvqW59iznw6
Reply to this message to continue the conversation

it happens everytime with the variable url: string. No matter what i change in the script. C# messes up with this variable.

Hello Saad,

It seems that the issue with the url: string variable causing code generation errors might be due to how the type is being declared or used within the context of Needle Engine.

1. Check the Decorators: Ensure that you are using the @serializable decorator correctly. It should typically look like this:

import { serializable } from "@needle-tools/engine";

export class SomeClass {
        @serializable() 
        url: string | null = null; // or `url?: string;`
    }

2. Type Declaration: In TypeScript, when defining properties, ensure that you’re consistently using string | null or string | undefined and initializing (if applicable) the variable appropriately. In your error description, you mention it gets messed up even when you change unrelated code, indicating it may not even be the variable itself but how it was referenced or serialized elsewhere.

3. Variable Conflicts: Verify if there’s any other class or component using the variable url redundantly or incorrectly.

4. Console Errors: Look out for other errors in the Unity console that may hint at underlying issues apart from the objectstring error. Sometimes, other components can influence code generation.

5. Clean/Rebuild: After making changes, ensure you are cleaning and then rebuilding your project. This usually helps with resolving cache issues that may arise from prior builds.

If these steps don’t resolve the issue, please confirm if the error persists for only the url variable across different components, or if it’s broader. Providing snippets of related TypeScript code may also assist in pinpointing the issue.

Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance!

2 replies left
thread_BFkEVe0dhEHeWLvqW59iznw6
Reply to this message to continue the conversation

Hi, you can annotate your typescript code to fix this error

e.g. //@type UnityEngine.AudioClip where you replace UnityEngine.AudioClip with whatever type you expect in Unity (e.g. string)

See Automatic Component Generation | Needle Engine Documentation